About this Website
This website was created by and is maintained
by James McMartin Long.
All errors are entirely his responsibility.
Any useful information is from other sources,
including various non-profit entities, various departments
within the Town of Caroga government, and various
departments within New York State government.
Report errors to James McMartin Long.
- Home page Kane Mt. Panorama – Anita Miller
- Town Board page – Anita Miller
- Library page – James McMartin Long
- Durey Creek Bluegrass Band page – Doug Purcell
- Kyle Hall page – Kyle Hall
- Golf Course page – Jerry Groom, III
Goals for this Website
The following goals are aspirational.
The website does not meet all the goals listed below.
- Include in the calendar every public event or important date
affecting persons in Caroga.
- Include links from the calendar to additional information
about those public events or important dates.
- Include links to authoritative sources, if available.
- Aid persons or organizations in Caroga in scheduling their
own events to minimize the number of conflicting event dates.
- Include all laws, ordinances, meeting minutes, hearing notices,
decision letters, etc.
- Update the website quickly as new information arrives.
- Include all departmental information: hours, contact information,
forms, procedures, etc.
- Keep the website simple to use and navigate.
Protecting your privacy
- Keep the site free of any tracking cookies.
from the big search engine and social media companies:
those companies sell your personal information.
- Avoid linking to pages on social media sites.
- Make the content smartphone friendly.
- Keep column widths narrow for ease in reading: roughly
“30 em”, similar to newspaper column widths.
- Minimize the number of clicks required to reach desired
- Keep the content compact to ensure fast page display.
to ensure fast page display, to protect privacy, and to
protect user security.
- Minimize use of 8.5×11 paper-centric PDF files,
which are poorly suited for reading on smartphones.
- Where PDF images of original documents must be presented,
attempt to also provide modern HTML transcriptions
of those legacy documents.
- Make as much content available as HTML as possible.
- Minimize use of proprietary word processor files such as
“.DOC” files, which may not be readable by all users.
- Maximize the content that strictly adheres to
HTML (primarily HTML 4.01 Strict)
and CSS (CSS level 3).
- Apple Safari browser on iOS does not adhere to HTML standards:
The calendar months vary in width when they should not.
- Retyping old laws and ordinances is an enormous task and
will take time to complete.
- All copies of laws enacted before 1968 may have been destroyed
by a fire in the town barn.
- Converting all “.DOC” files to HTML will take time
- Site searching function relies on Google instead of an internal
search function. Google searches may not find the very latest pages.
Search this website with Google