Budgets for 2021 must be adopted by November 20.
Assemblyman Smullen and NYS Comptroller DiNapoli warned of a
massive budget shortfall. This will result in reduced state aid to
Caroga. They also warned of reduced sales tax revenue, which is a
significant portion of the total revenue of the Town.
Highlights of the Adopted Budget
- Town Property Tax Rate increases 17%, well above the
NYS Property Tax Cap of 1.6%
- 9% ($3,000) increase for Town Clerk
- Celebrations (PLRT) goes up 600% ($12,000).
This is for community-wide events such as outhouse races.
- Golf total personal services line goes up 14% ($14,000)
- Golf equipment goes up 33% ($3,350)
- Supervisor’s Personal Secretary is $9,000
- Code Officer became full-time in fall 2020 ($26,600 increase)
- Replace Code Clerk line with Code Enforcement Assistant
line ($4,000 increase)
- 7% ($3,312) increase for Highway Superintendent.
- 2% increase for
- Court Clerk
- Budget Director
- Sole Assessor
- Registrar of Vital Statistics
- BTI staff
- Deputy Highway Superintendent
- Zero increase for
- Town Board members
- Town Justice
- Dog Control Officer
- Highway Secretary
- Bike Trail Staff+Manager decreased $11,700
- Youth Services Staff cut from $21,000 to $5,600
- Reserved funding was cut $45,000, though this just defers spending
Basics of Municipal Accounting
You can read a short introduction to municipal accounting
Comments on the 2021 Budget
You can read email comments here.
Tentative, Preliminary, and Past Budgets
are various versions of the 2021 budget presented as web
pages, spreadsheets, or printable PDFs, along with the adopted 2020 budget.
Town Property Tax Cap
Town tax levies are subject to a
Property Tax Cap.
Tax Rate for the Current Year
The tax rate for properties in the Town of Caroga
may be found
Copyright © James McMartin Long 2017–2022