Town of Caroga
Local Law #2 of 2017
A local law to Amend
Local Law #1 of 2014
a Law to Regulate Traffic in the Town of Caroga.
Section 1. Title
- The title of this Local Law is “A local law
to Regulate Traffic in the Town of Caroga, New York”.
Section 2. Purpose
- The purpose of this Local Law is to preserve
the good order of the Town.
Section 3. Applicability
- This Local Law shall apply to all territory
within the confines of the Town.
Section 4. Definitions
- In this Local Law the words “owner”,
“parked” and “vehicle
have the meanings assigned them by the New York State
Vehicle and Traffic Law.
Section 5. Removal and Storage of Vehicles
- The Town shall provide for the removal and storage
of vehicles that are
- Parked or abandoned in any town and county streets
and highways in violation of the provisions of
this Local Law.
- Parked or abandoned on public highways during
snowstorms, floods, fires or other public
- Found unattended where they constitute an
obstruction to traffic.
- Found at any location where stopping, standing,
or parking is prohibited.
- In addition to the payment of any penalty, the owner
or operator of any such vehicle shall be liable for
payment of all expenses actually and necessarily
incurred in effecting such removal and storage thereof.
Section 6. Temporary Emergency Restrictions
- The Highway Superintendent is authorized to prohibit
or limit parking in any designated area,
where he determines that there is a serious traffic problem.
- The order of the Highway Superintendent shall prohibit or
limit parking no longer than fourteen (14) days.
In the event the Highway Superintendent desires to limit
or prohibit parking, suitable signs or other instructions
specifying the limitations must be placed in the area in
order to inform the motorists of the prohibition or limitation.
Section 7. Parking for Certain Purposes Prohibited
- No person shall park a vehicle upon any
roadway for the principal purpose of:
- Displaying such vehicle for sale.
- Washing, greasing, or repairing such vehicle,
except repairs necessitated by an emergency.
Section 8. Blocking Highways and Driveways
- No person shall park any vehicle in such a manner as
to block a town highway, entrance to a public parking
lot or any private driveway.
Section 9. Winter Parking
- In order to facilitate snow removal operations on all
public highways, the parking of
vehicles is prohibited on all town and county streets
and highways during the period of
December 1st through April 1 except and unless
special permission in writing, be
provided by the Town Highway superintendent, and
then only in the case of an emergency.
Section 10. Interference with Snow Removal
- It shall be unlawful for any person to delay,
hinder or obstruct any Town vehicle or
equipment while the same is engaged in plowing
or removing snow from the highways or
public places of the Town, and the owner or
person in control of any vehicle standing in any
highway or public place in the Town shall move
or cause the same to be moved to permit
the plowing or removal of snow at the request
of any authorized agent or the Town.
Section 11. Exceptions
- The provisions of the Local Law shall not apply
to commercial vehicles while stopped for
the purpose of loading or unloading merchandise
or to operator of a vehicle who has been
granted special permission by the Town Highway Superintendent.
- When there is a special event taking place
within the Town of Caroga the Town Highway
Superintendent may lift the winter parking ban
on roads, with a request 15 days prior
notice from the person or groups sponsoring the event.
Section 12. Penalties for Offense
- Any person violating any of the provisions
of this article may be punished upon conviction
for the first offense by a fine not exceeding
one hundred dollars ($100.00) and, for the
second offense a two hundred and fifty
($250.00) fine within the time frame of
eighteen months, and for the third offense
a three hundred and fifty dollars ($350.00) fine
within the time frame of eighteen months; or by
imprisonment not exceeding fifteen (15)
days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Section 13. Severability
- If any clause, sentence paragraph, subdivision,
section or part of this Local Law shall be
adjudged by any Court of Competent jurisdiction
to be invalid, such judgement shall not effect,
impair or invalidate the remainder thereof.
Section 14. Effective Date
- This Local Law shall become effective immediately
upon its filing with the New York
Department of State.
Copyright © James McMartin Long 2017-2021